The Experts and the Advisory Board of the UN Global Study met in Vienna, Austria, on April 10-11, 2018. This meeting reflected the new phase of the UN Global Study – implementation. The main outcomes were the appointment and first meeting of the Advisory Board and the finalization and adoption of the research methodology. Cross-cutting issues such as the impact of deprivation on liberty on children’s health, gender, and child participation will also be included in the study. Five research groups were established: children deprived of liberty in the administration of justice; children living in places of detention with their parents; children deprived of liberty for migration related reasons; children deprived of liberty in institutions; and children deprived of liberty related to armed conflict and national security. Each of these research groups comprises a research institution/academia, an UN focal point, an NGO focal point, and Advisory Board Members.
Please find below the research groups and the NGO focal points:
- Children deprived of liberty in the administration of justice – NGO focal point: DCI (Helen Griffiths), CRIN (Leo Ratledge)
- Children living in places of detention with their parents – NGO focal point: Children of Prisoners Europe (COPE) (Rachel Brett), Quakers (Laurel Townhead)
- Children deprived of liberty for migration related reasons – HRW (Michael Garcia Bochenek)
- Children deprived of liberty in institutions – NGO focal point: Lumos (Anna Darling), SOS Kindersdorf International
- Children deprived of liberty related to armed conflict and national security- NGO focal point: HRW (Jo Becker)
The questionnaire can be found here in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, Bahasa, Burmese, Khmer, Lao, Malay, and Vietnamese.